Before Linda left we made a final trip to the garden to get the solar panels installed–we are adding 8 new panels to have a higher water flow. The students got the new panels built, but what we did not foresee is that a the pump had a 2″ female threaded connection and a male adapter or 2″ nipple in either PVC or galvanized pipe is simply not available here. No threaded pipe in size over 3/4″. So the panels are up and when we go to Niamey we will see what we can find there to connect and install the pump–other than that we are ready to water. I showed Aboli and Alhassane how to install some T tape drip irrigation and we are going to do a test with the next planting of Moringa.
Onions were a good harvest and we brought in the first 40 sacs, but the price is horrible some say because of a closure of the border with Nigeria due to Boko Haram (a islamist group) and the problems in Ivory Coast which was a market for Niger. For whatever reason–no money in onions this year. So welcome to the realities of agriculture. We will now diversify with fruit trees, melons and tomatoes which we will dry, mangos and more Moringa. At least our water will be free now that we will have solar.
Linda and Alhassane in the garden for a picnic.
The solar students installed 8 new panels next to the four existing. We now have one small system and one large one. Next step is the pump and then the tank.
Leave a Reply